Posted by: admin October 26th, 2017
Pumpkin Roasted Apple Soup
The definition of fall all wrapped up in a healthy, hearty, and delicious bowl of goodness!
Ready in: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 4 pounds pie pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 large sweet-tart apples, unpeeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut
1. Preheat oven to 450° F.
2. Toss pumpkin (or squash), apples, olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, for 30 minutes. Stir in sage and continue roasting until very tender and starting to brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.
3. Transfer about one-third of the pumpkin (or squash) and apples to a blender along with 2 cups broth. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a Dutch oven and repeat for two more batches. Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and heat through over medium-low heat, stirring constantly to prevent splattering, for about 6 minutes. Serve each portion topped with hazelnuts and a drizzle of hazelnut oil.